Salsa de Tomatillo / Green or Purple Salsa
• 10 tomatillos, husked
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic or to taste, chopped
• 2 jalapeno peppers or to taste, chopped (remove seeds for milder salsa)
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or to taste
• lime juice to taste
• salt to taste
1. Place tomatillos in a nonreactive saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Simmer until tomatillos soften and begin to burst, about 10 minutes.
2. Drain tomatillos and place in a food processor or blender with onion, garlic, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, salt. Blend to desired consistency.
Variations: roasted jalapeno; roasted garlic
Possible additions: sour cream, avocado, cumin
Make 2 cups